As a writer I get involved in a wide array of interactive projects. Besides writing for projects I often find myself writing about various topics for other purposes. And sometimes I even just write because I feel like it, or have a story that needs to be told.
Below you will find a selection of links to articles and texts that I wrote for other platforms than my own blog. Most articles will be about (game) design, games in general, or other topics of interest to me as a designer. Occasionally I may link to prose or texts I wrote as copywriter for a project if I consider the material readable outside of its original environment.
Articles for Hubbub
Articles I wrote for the Hubbub blog, mostly about game design and things happening on the scene, or projects I worked in for them. A selection:
- Lessons from Knutepunkt 2013, a long article about Nordic larp event Knutepunkt and the things I learned there.
- Traveling through time in games and Time travel tricks and troubles , two articles I wrote about one of my intern projects at Hubbub.
Articles for Bashers.nl
(Dutch) Mostly about the art-game scene and regarding various topical issues of the time, a selection:
- De kunst van games in het museum: Load It! in het Stedelijk – Article about the opening of art-game exposition ‘Load It!’ in ‘het Stedelijk Museum’ in Amsterdam. Sparked a discussion between the game design scene and the more traditional art scene that was getting involved with games.
- It’s Art in the Game, maar zien we het ook? – Article about a follow up on the exposition ‘Load It!’ titled ‘It’s Art in the Game’.
- De Magic Circle en de Hitlergroet – Article examining a few Dutch attempts at ARGs in their design and discussing certain choices, linked to a controversy about a Dutch ARG project at the time.
- Picasso gespot bij de Tunesische grens – Article about inter-European Alternate Reality Game and TV-series ‘The Spiral’.
- Cultureel en kindvriendelijk gamen onder kermislicht – Review of a selection of interactive projects and games for youth-theatre-festival ‘Tweetakt’ in 2012.
Prose, fiction and content
I write fiction and in game text (copy) for several projects. Occasionally I may post some here if I consider it readable outside of its original context. Texts may be in Dutch or English.